My favorite core interview questions:
July 30th, 2013
- What was it about this position that attracted you to want to find out more?
- What are you looking for in your next employment opportunity that you may not be getting in your current one?
- Can you describe your most significant accomplishment while at____?
- How would you solve this problem?
- What would your former boss at “ABC company” tell me about you when I call to do the reference check?
- Is there anything in your past that we should talk about now that may come up in background and reference checks?
I thought I would share with you my favorite core candidate interview questions. I have used these for decades to help me quickly assess “the fit” of candidates I talk to on a daily basis. Of course there are additional candidate questions tailored specifically to each position’s core essential factors, but these are the ones I like to ask all the time. Notice that I did not mention the word “job” in my questions. Clients only hire me to find them Top Performers, and Top Performers do not change jobs for another job, but rather for better career choice and opportunities.
The first two questions are to find out what the candidate’s “hot buttons” are. I will use that information (if possible) when extending an offer to remind them how the opportunity I have will get them what they currently do not have and why they should take it.
Questions three and four really provide you with more insight into the candidate’s abilities and capabilities.
Questions five and six are to help flush out the “bad apples.” This will save you and your team valuable time and awkward embarrassment.
Let me know what you think of these questions. Which ones are your favorites when you conduct interviews?
Remember, I am here to help in any way I can.
Free eBook: “7 Killer Mistakes Stopping Top Performers From Ever Joining Your Company”
Tony Bengtson, SPHR
Precision Recruiting, Inc. www.pri.jobs
CTRN Founder and President
Coors Corporate Gold Supplier Award Recipient